What is Vitamins?
We learned on the nutrition page that good nutrition, means eating the right foods so that our bodies get the vitamins and minerals it needs. Our bodies need vitamins and minerals to function. Different parts of our body like eyes, brain, muscles and bones need different nutrients to grow and stay healthy.
Vitamins are organic compounds that humans need in small amounts. Each person has a different role in maintaining health and bodily functions. Some people need supplements to increase their supply, but it depends on their lifestyle and general health.
Below we have provided the list of vitamins that our bodies need:
- Eyes, immune system, skin
- Milk, eggs, orange and green vegetables
- Bones, blood vessels, teeth, gums, healing, brain
- Berries, bell peppers, oranges, spinach, tomatoes
- Sunlight, milk, fish oil, eggs
- Blood, cells
- Nuts, green leafy vegetables, whole grains
- Red blood cells, nerves
- Fish, milk, cheese, red meat, chicken
- Brain, nerves, proteins
- Bananas, nuts, red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, beans
- Muscles, nervous system, heart
- Meat, fish, beans, peas
- Skin, nerves
- Chicken, red meat, peanuts, fish
- Energy, red blood cells, eyes
- Meat, eggs, peas, nuts, milk, green vegetables
Folate (B9, folic acid)
- Red blood cells, DNA
- Green vegetables, beans, liver, oranges
What is Minerals?
Minerals are elements found in the earth and in food that our bodies need to grow and function properly. Those essential for health include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, chromium, copper, fluoride, molybdenum, manganese, and selenium.
From the above definition, we can infer that minerals are inorganic substances that are necessary for the normal functioning of the human body. The human body needs different amounts of minerals daily to build strong bones and muscles. It also helps to maintain various bodily functions. Therefore, we get these nutrients by eating foods rich in minerals.
Below we have provided the list of vitamins and minerals that our bodies need:
- Bones and teeth
- Milk, yogurt, cheese, green vegetables
- Red meat, poultry, soy, green leafy vegetables, fish, pork
- Muscles, nerves, bones, energy
- Nuts, whole grains, breads, bananas, milk
- Bones, teeth, energy, cells
- Milk, meat, fish
- Muscles, nervous system
- Potatoes, broccoli, bananas, fruits
- Growth, immune system, healing
- Red meat, seafood, nuts, milk, whole grains, poultry